Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Special Delivery

Hatch Date passed

2/24, the chicks' hatch date has passed. Our newborn chicks are alive and on the way. eFowl is shipping them with 2-3 day USPS Poultry shipping which is usually comes in 1-2 days. 

Here they are!

I got a call around 2pm from the local post office that there was "Some Live Poultry" waiting to be picked up. I hurried down to pick them up and the teller seemed almost as excited as I was. They came in a surprisingly small box, to keep them warm I assume. They would chirp like mad any time they were still. I could barely seem them through the breathing holes but I hurried home to take them out and get them set up in their new home.

I put them into their brooding area and they flocked out of the box and hid in the corner.

Calming down

After an hour or so they started to relax. I copied what I saw in a couple Youtube videos that suggested taking each chick and forcing them to eat and drink so they know where to eat. Although I'm not sure how essential it is I decided to go ahead and do it after they calmed down. After the first couple they all started to eat and drink on their own. They quickly follow eachother and have a true hive mind in their actions. They decide, "It's eating time, now!" or "It's time to hide in the corner." and they all follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment